From:
Ted Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 16:14:01 EDT
Hi there

This is from Tanya again - Rajah's 'mum'.  I wasn't going to post about her
'recovery' until I had all the details, but as I am posting for another
reason, I might as well clue you all in on what is happening.

First, thanks to ALL of you who responded to my pleas for help, consolation
etc...we appreciate.  If I didn't e-mail anyone who wrote to me directly,
I'm sorry and thanks anyway.

Rajah had exploratory surgery done on her little teeny body last Friday and
a large 'mass' was removed, which has been sent in for an 'histology' (?).
It will be 4-6 weeks before I hear anything.  In the meantime, Rajah
returned home a 'different' ferret - lemme at the food bowl now, I gotta
eat ALL I can :) and chomping us and socks and bouncing and dancing and
playing as much as we've been allowing her - also sleeping lots (as ferrets
seem to do).  So, so far things look bright and cheery.  Of course the test
results could be anything - maybe one of the vets has some ideas in the
meantime?  It was attached to a fairly large blood vessel in her lower
abdomen and was like an envelope in that it had an open slit which filled
with fluid.  I think it looks like an ear scrunched up - but I've never
seen anything of a ferrets insides, so I really haven't a clue.  Something
left over from her spay?

Now, the less happy news...the Fredericton SPCA has just been brought a
neutered male ferret - I think he is a sable - he has chocolately
brown/black feet and waistcoat.  His body is mainly creamy with the
brown/black guard hairs and some areas browner/blacker than creamy.  He has
a lovely mask.  His name (from the previous owner) is Felix.  I took him
out for a while and he seems like a wonderful docile boy - no attempts to
nip.  He seemed happy to sit on my shoulder and look around.

Anyhow, whilst I was there I felt a lump at the base of his tail...so the
shelter is sending him across to the vet for their opinion.  Is anyone
interested in this fuzzie?  PLEASE.  They SPCA will be asking C$35.00 for
him, which should include his first distemper vaccine.

The pet shops here in Fredericton do not stock a lot of ferrets, so I think
interest in them is fairly limited - that's why I'm putting this post here.
We shall be returning to SA in the next year or so, and two is probably as
many as I can fit in a carrier to take with me and I already have two...so
I can't take him.

If anyone is interested, please e-mail me directly [log in to unmask]
Thanks.
Sorry this is rather long...
Tanya, Ted, Orville & Rajah