From:
Kari Benson Toyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 1994 20:47:01 CST
Hello,

I find all of this discussion about non-snuggly ferrets somewhat
baffling.  Ever since she was a kit, Sunshine has been an absolute
attention hound.  She fell asleep on my hand the first time I held
her, and is very kissy (I feel as though she will lick my cheek clear
off some day!).  She loves to snuggle and sleep on my lap (especially
if I was *just* about to get up).  She has never kept bed priviledges,
though, as, apparently, if feet are under a blanket, they are fair
game!
        Our Shades is not quite as snuggly, but, loves a nice little
scratch about the ears and back.  He likes snuggles, but, not for
quite as long as Sunshine.  And, he is a bit more devilish about the
sneak ankle attack.  But, he behaves fine to climb in bed for a little
while without the BOOT.
        If this is encouraging, they both are more affectionate with
passing time.  We have always encouraged this.  Also, we usually
punished naughty behavior with the traditional laboratory rat
restraint hold: thumb and ring finger around the waist, and index and
middle finger around the neck.  This is an ideal submissive/time-out
restraint as they can't nip, get away, or do anything this way.  This
has indicated clearly that we are the bosses (and, I *will* bathe you
or clip your nails if I want to ;-) ).
        Also, with the fireplace questions.  I have lived in a place
with a fireplace with Sunshine.  I found it truly nerve-wracking, but,
I let her wander around in there (she is no dummy, she came out when
she was too hot!).  She did singe some whiskers the first time in, but
didn't burn herself at all...  and since has had little interest in
it with a fire burning.  But, keeping her from spreading ashes from a
non-burning fireplace was next to impossible (little ball of spreading
ashes... remember Pigpen from Peanuts?).

Good luck with your snuggly little fuzzies!!
kari
--
               --()       ______           Kari Toyer
             / o)  \     /      \    _      (and Sunshine,

  "Ferrets have two modes:     asleep...   and in trouble!!"