From:
Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 20:16:07 -0400
Below is the pathology report on Buddy Bear Ferret.  We have reopened the
shelter as of today 8/31/95.

After Dr. Ernest and I went over the report all we can figures out that is
poor Buddy Bear got into something when he was just a baby and before he
arrived at the shelter.

DIAGNOSIS:  After a thorough microscopic examination of the tissues
submitted, there is evidence of severe hepatic portal cirrhosis with nodular
hepatocellular proliferation and severe bridging portal fibosis and bile
ductular proliferation and multifocal mild subacute Lyphoplasmacytic portal
inflammation.  Toxin esposure is typcially implicated in the development of
portal cirrhosis so evaluate for possible past exposure to toxic chemicals,
plants, drugs or mycotoxins.  There is multifocal moderate hepatocellular
fatty change which can result from toxin exposure or nutritional or metabolic
disturbances or rarely diabetes mellitus.  There are however, no significant
lesions in the pancreas submitted.  There is multifocal severe acute small
intestinal mucosal congestion and hemorrhage and hepatic centrilobular
congestion and renal congestion indicative of "terminal circulatory
collapse/shock and Disseminated intravascular coagulation which in this case,
most likely is associated with the severe hepatopathy noted."  There is
marked pulmonary atelectasis with scattered osseous pneumoliths.  The latter
are an incidental finding.  there are no significant lesions in the gastric
and colonic specimens examined and there is marked cholemic nephrosis
secondary to the chronic hepatopathy noted.

Pathologist:  Dr. F. Sam Kennedy, D.V.M., Diplomate, American College of
Veterinary Pathologists

We shall miss you Buddy Bear - we love you.

Chere McCoy
Ferret Friends of Indian River County International