From:
Regina Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 14:48:20 -0400
Hi Lori,
I'm glad things look better for Unagi Inu--

>Unfortunately, he's now on prednisone and some other post-op meds.  I've
>just given him his meds for the first time, and it was awful.  I managed
>to get most of it into him, but also quite a bit on my shirt.  Does anyone
>have any more palatable ways of giving a ferret prednisone, antibiotics,
>etc.  that he clearly hates the taste of?

One trick that has worked for me-- it's more often the means of getting
the medicine than the taste itself that the ferret minds.  With my pred
refills, I get a plastic syringe, the idea being that I should squirt the
medicine into the ferret's mouth.  Well, the ferret hates that.  But, I
found that if I first measured out the dose using the syringe and then
used a large-mouth eyedropper and mixed in a little Linatone with the pred,
two of two ferrets had no trouble licking the medicine up from the end of
the dropper, and looked at it as a treat.  I think they just want to be
in control of how the medicine is adminstered.  Both of my guys were very
enthusiastic about the cherry and bubblegum flavors of pediapred (of
course, antibiotics are another story entirely, but luckily those don't
last that long).

Regina

Regina Harrison  [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1083
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Labyrinth/8096

           the tears are welling in my eyes again
         I need twenty big buckets to catch them in
          and twenty pretty girls to carry them down
            and twenty deep holes to bury them in