From:
Millie Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 11:17:22 -0600
#1. I agreed with Judith about using good judgement on when shelters should
decide to let some of the sick and elderly ferrets go and concentrate on
helping those who still have a chance at life but I was a coward and did it
privately.  I want to add my 2 cents now regarding when the poor neglected
animals are turned in in such meiserable condition where treatment would
only be another form of pain to go through with little hope of a good life
thereafter, it is time to use judgement not emotions.  You can't make up
for a lifetime of suffering by extending the life of one like that and the
chances of putting it into a loving home for 3 months or 6 and subject that
family to the grief that follows such a departure isn't fair to either
side.  There are plenty of humans fighting for the right to die now and
also going the route to end it all than face more suffering.  With animals,
we have those rights now.

#2 With regard to Ed's article on digging ferrets, I just have 6 but the
observation I have is Dizzy came to me whole, didn't care to dig (mine are
outside everyday, without harnesses, for at least an hour) and he liked the
vegetation better.  He got fixed and he still feels that way.  Ajax is
still whole, he helps the girls a with their digging, once in awhile starts
a hole of his own, but would rather attack explore and play than dig.  Now
the girls - sprites - absolute adore the digging, they do teamwork, making
their hole, backing out carrying the fresh stuff and the next one jumps in
and backs out, like a conveyer belt.  Joy, who was whole when she came,
didn't seem to care for it, to intent on keeping Cascade away from Dizzy.
After she was fixed and her hormones finally calmed down, she is one
digging little fool.  It maybe Ed that yours dig because the wholes feel
need to be doing something while staked out whereas the fixed group is a
little more on the content side, not so much nervous energy, it may have
nothing to do with fixin em takes away their natural need to dig.  I'd put
my MF sprites up against any "digging machine" out there.  (They are
gooooooood)

#3 Over crowding shelters.  I agree.  There are some absolutely wonderful
shelters out there really geared to giving a home life to the neglected.
Nonetheless, if that ferret is going to be moved into a home, the faster
the better.  Ferrets are social and love to investigate but they also
recognize home and have routines.  They never know when they leave their
"home" if they are going and returning.  A perfect home for any animal is
hard to find, even for our own (ever hear the term dysfunctional - I was
raised in the American dream, now find it was consider dysfunctional, too
much Leave It To Beaver syndrom) and a shelter mom who is open to vibes can
listen to those vibes and work with these adopters to "move move move".
They are doing all 3 groups a favor.  Sure some may come back but they also
come back when it had been overly protective too.  Life is precentages

I don't say adopt to everyone who comes along, I say use good judgement
on both: who and when to adopt out and who and when to release them from
their suffering.

Millie and her agreeing, opinionated, suggestive noble cleaning crew
Easy Off:  the most perfect ferret in the whole wide world
Ammonia:  No Grandma, it was, it was,   naw it was me, (are you noticing
Santee Paws?, I'm being oh so good)
Cascade:  Oh boohooohooo Dizzy hug me, I gotta have a hug, boooohoooo
Ajax:  Hey look at me, I'm a bulldog, grrrrrrrrwoffwoffgrrrrr
Dizzy:  would someone read me the Serenity Prayer
Joy:  Get over it Cascade, no one like died you know, that's life