From:
"Bossart, Richard K" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 15:13:37 -0400
One thing that has been bothering me for sometime and maybe now it is a
good time to bring it up.  I am not pointing fingers at anyone or
suggesting that anyone on the FML is dishonest.  I would like to caution
people here to be very careful of posts hinting at or outright requesting
donations of money for whatever cause.

I have made such requests in the past myself, but have never asked that
the money be sent to me.  It has always been to a recognized, public
organization (such as a community Humane Shelter) where the donor could
make inquiries to determine if such a request was valid.  I have seen
requests where the donation was requested to be sent to a veterinarian
office, again where the donor could and should check references prior to
sending money.  I have even seen request for donations to well known ferret
shelters, where the donor could and should make independent inquiries to
other FML'ers in the area.  What concerns me is the potential for anyone
with a computer to write to the FML with a story that might cause people
to send money.

I'd like to suggest that all requests or hints for donations be looked at
very carefully and the veracity of the request checked before sending in
anything, especially money.  Do you know the person or have you heard of
the person before?  Does anyone that you know and trust know that person?
Look in the FML archives.  Has that person posted often in the past and can
you establish a link through friends and trusted contacts to that person?
Do you know the organization that they say they represent; if so does the
address match with the one given?  Did you check with the local community
Chamber of Commerce to see if the organization or veterinarian is as
represented; how about with the local government?  FML'ers are a generous
people and I'd hate to see any of them taken advantage of.

Again, I'm not accusing anyone.  Just expressing a general concern.

Dick B.