From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:25:10 EST
Sam wrote:
>Unfortunately, I have to pass on the news that, despite what the Ministry
>of Agriculture and Forestry have told me on several occasions in the past,
>some of the ferrets I've sent over to the US have tested positive for ADV.

Sam...I am SO proud of you for speaking up and posting this.  I know it was
NOT an easy thing to do.

I would like to say that Sam did the right thing in making this public...
even though it was difficult for her, and she expects a lot of flack.
PLEASE let's not make her regret it.  I know for a fact that the
certificates (that came here with the ferrets she sent) from the Dept. of
A & F in NZ stated that there are no rabies or Aleutian Disease in NZ.
Sam relied on this and shipped her ferrets here in good faith.  She had no
reason to suspect they could be ADV positive.

I'd also like to say that all over the U.S., ferrets are testing positive
for ADV.  So far, no one else has posted these test results.  I have been
strongly encouraging them to and, although I strongly believe that people
"need" to know what areas of the country have ADV positive ferrets, it is
not my place to post these results.  If we stand behind Sam for doing the
right thing for ALL ferrets...then other people may be willing to post
their positive results also.  I am very afraid that people are getting a
"false sense of security" because no one has been posting about the
positive ferrets that are turning up.  Let's encourage people to post by
NOT shunning or flaming others because of a disease.  We cannot stop or
even slow down this horrible virus by hiding it.

Please just know that ADV is much more widespread than even we first
believed.  PLEASE test your ferrets.  The new saliva test is extremely
simple to do and is not at all expensive.  The information for that test
can be found at:

http://www.avecon.com/AveconADV.htm

EVERYONE should test their ferrets.  Please do not assume that yours are
all negative just because they aren't sick or haven't shown any symptoms.
I'd like to share a portion of a post that was made to a list not long ago.
I won't use any names out of respect for this person's privacy:

"It is with a very heavy heart that I write this.
I had to let my ******** go and chase Rainbows last nite.  He was paralyzed
in all four legs and he was having a hard time breathing.

God I miss him so!  And if hurts so bad.  Within a span of 2 weeks he just
wasted away from this damn disease.  I hate it.  Why did it have to take my
boy?  Why isn't there a cure for it?  Why isn't there any information in
magazines warning people of this?  Why, why why?"

Yes...the ferret died from Aleutian Disease.  Neither this person nor
his/her vet had ever heard of ADV.  Don't you think that's sad?

Please visit White Russian's ADV Web Page if you need more info.  The URL
is under my name.  (Don't forget to sign the guest book)

Judy
Please give to Aleutian Disease research...the ferret you save may be your
own!
http://www.geocities.com/russiansmom/index.html