From:
Pauline Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 10:13:32 EDT
This past december 24, 2004, I brought over two ferrets from Europe to
introduce into my breeding program.  Every 3-5 years we bring in new
bloodlines that are carefully screened and selected.  Well because of
the weather changes out here in the U.S., I had to wait until the Airport
re-opened to send two from the US to Europe.  On March 9, 2005, in
agreement with terms set with the breeder in Europe, I sent two breeders
to that party.  (This is just to give a background, names and specific
locations aren't necessary.)

Well the two ferrets I got from Europe adjusted well as all the ferrets
are housed in doors and where the whole family can seem (in the supposed
dinning room area which was converted to the ferret room in 1989).  The
housing facility for the breeder in Europe is a seperate building from
the house which is temperature controlled, water accessible, etc.  Just
like a mini house.  The ferrets over there are given run time outside in
playpens, specifically built and dug into the ground more than 6 inches
to prevent escape.  Also they are supervised periodically to make sure
there are no problems.

About a week ago, I got an email letting me know that one of the ferrets
died suddenly and the other was having a severe reaction and pawing at
his mouth.  The girl who died was immediately autospied and no notice
of any health problems leading to the death.  A blood test was done for
toxins, nothing showed up.  In a panic the other ferret was displaying
symptoms much like an allergic reaction.  He was pawing at the mouth,
convulsions, difficulty breathing, passways looked swollen, etc.  Since
was a pawing we thought perhaps something eaten.  The girl's contents
were examined and nothing was in the stomach.  So we thought perhaps a
bug bite but there was not conclusive evidence that it was a bug bite
or rather insect bite (no bite marks or signs).

Baffled and worried the boy would not make it, benadryl was given, fluids
hooked up and then a seizure.  Medicine given and he started to recover.
It took a week and he is now able to walk and play.  The girl's death
was strange and elusive as we discussed any possible means of her death
and what it could have been.  Upon talking with another breeder, she
suggested the environment.  After talking with the breeder in Europe
in what seemed like a hundred emails written back and forth, it was
confirmed, she lives in a farm area of which they crop dust.  Her ferrets
having been born and raised to the environment and brought outside to
play were exposed and built an immunity to the crop dusting and many
other environmental changes.  The ferrets from here in the U.S. that
went to Europe have never been outside other than going to a show, the
vet, etc., never free roam outside (I am too paranoid about bugs).  So
they did not have an immunity to the environment.

Things happen that are out of your control and perhaps it was a fluke
that the little girl died, maybe being that she was smaller, the crop
dusting was too much for her.  I am not a medical expert.  And of course,
not being there, it's difficult to know how long she was outside in
playtime and what other factors played into her death.  But the moral is
too just be wary and if you are looking to move out of the country or to
a different part of your country, environmental changes could have an
impact on your ferret.

Please visit our sites:
www.freewebs.com/dlightfulferrets/