From:
Pauline Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 09:37:35 EST
Just to fill in those who are maybe new to the chat group...... Tam, is
my miracle baby.  She was born extremely small, her very large brother
was born 5 days prior to her and 5 days too early (partly we think
because of his size, he was pushed out accidently).  Well Tam's momma
lost her milk completely by the 5 day (almost completely gone by the
4th day).  Well, after receiving opposition from other breeders that
I shouldn't bother to save her because she would be too small and
unsellable, Tam is a live and kicking monkey ferret.  I spent several
grueling days to save her.  I hand feed from 4 days on.  Some of you may
know that handfeeding prior to 2 weeks old can be trying because, it's
hard to find something small enough for them suckle on and also that
they can breath in the liquid which can go into their lungs.  They eat
every slowly so you can never be in a rush when feeding them.

Tam was born 8/7/05.  She is currently 1lb and 4 oz.  (as of 11/09/05 @
523am) She is a very adorable boxy little girl.  She is still growing
but I doubt she will be larger than 1 1/2 lbs.  Tam's favorite toy is
her baby bottle that I used to feed her with.  She doesn't chew it but
she runs around with it in her mouth and chuckles.  She isn't a very
talkative little girl and doesn't scream when another ferret wants to
play with her or tries to play ruff.  But as soon as she hears the treat
bag, she will come running.  She is a fearless little girl and will
tackle my one 5 lb boy who lets this little 1 + lb girl drag him around.
He will flop to his size and actually push himself along as she is
dragging him.  It's adorable.  Tam could probably move him on her own
but in the meantime, I like that he helps her.  She loves playing with
her paws like her daddy.  Tam's dad uses his paws frequently to get
attention, redo my hair, play with his toys, tease the dogs, get the
dogs in trouble when they are in the ferret room and doing wrong, etc.
Tam is one interesting ferret.

Please visit our sites:
www.freewebs.com/dlightfulferrets/