From:
Erika Matulich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 07:17:50 -0800
My very first ferret-dog interaction was with a Malamute, TooToo.  This dog
had already been through TONS of obedience training and was working on her
utility dog certification.  This means she would unfailingly respond to
human commands.  An additional command she was taught, long before a ferret
ever showed up, was "no bite" meaning she could not close her mouth around
anything.  She was very good with the ferrets, but all interactions were
supervised.  She let the kits nip at her heels, climb all over her, etc.
But when she got tired of their antics, she would sit on them!

However, this behavior is NOT the norm.  This was an extremely well trained
dog who was always supervised.  When a second malamute ran into the house
by mistake, he immediately rushed to the ferret and scooped Bobbin up in
his mouth.  Bobbin let out a "death shriek" -- a sound I will never forget.
The dog was so startled he dropped the ferret (or maybe because I screamed
too).  By this time the dog was restrained and the ferret put away, so all
ended well, but this could have been a disaster.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but please, please, always be
careful with ferret interactions with other animals (including human
children!).  Always supervise, make sure there are escape routes for each
party, make sure everyone is trained, etc.  Harnesses and leashes on both
parties during training sessions are a big help as well.

- Erika and the Terrific Ten