From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 20:52:05 -0800
Someone posted:
>But Dr. Brown on AOL has been saying that a little heavy whipping cream is
>a good way to boost the fat and calories for an ailing ferret

PLEASE do not give treats with high sugar content like this except under the
direction of your veterinarian!!!  If you don't understand how sugary treats
can be harmful to ferrets, consult you personal human physician and ask how
a candy bar affects someone with insulinoma or hypoglycemia.  These are
animals, sugar is not available to most animals in the wild, (yes I know
these are domestic ferrets, but their dietary needs are still somewhat
similar to other animals) therefore they do not need it, and worse, it could
be harmful over time.

By the way, the new ferret treats by Sheppard & Greene are out on the
market.  They sent me a sample today (because I am a shelter I guess?), the
first ingredient in them is sugar....unopened, they went directly into the
trash can!

>From:    Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
>What do you call a ferret that bites strangers prophylactically, seems to
>have no fear of us, but still chomps our noses hard every chance she gets?
>Is this for fun, for fear, or untrained, or...nuts?

I cannot say without more information on her background, surroundings,
circumstances, etc., and personally evaluating the ferret.  This is why I
say that with biters you have to learn to think like them, you are the only
one who *knows* this ferret, wish I could help, but I am afraid it is up to
you to figure this one out.

>From:    Thomas Sobieski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: licorice
>>Was the Licorice red or black????
>>If it was black you have major problems.  Get to a vet NOW.

>Very very few brands of black licorice contain any REAL licorice.....

Dear Tom,
I think you misinterpreted my mention of the color of the licorice, you see
the man said the ferret had 'red' poop.  If the licorice was 'red', it may
have been leaving the body the same color it went in, if it was 'black'
licorice, the ferret was definitely **bleeding**, a very serious situation.
I have it on good authority that licorice cannot be easily and properly
digested by the ferret, so it doesn't matter what color it is, it is still
one of the worst treats you can give your ferret.

So no one will be confused here, there is an herbal licorice root that seems
helpful in dealing with adrenal tumors.  This is an entirely different thing
and is being tested now by reputable shelters.

Kisses to the fuzzies
Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter