From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 21:03:29 -0800
>From:    "Amy N." <[log in to unmask]>
>The operation to tighten the constrictor will be performed on this Saturday.
>Any information about similar case,personal experience, medical suggestion
>will be welcomed. We have too poor info in our area.

It will be important to be sure the little one is consuming plenty of liquid
to prevent dehydration.  I prefer Natural Fruit Flavor Pedialyte in the
water bottle, for the electrolytes.  Special Diet will be in order, low
fiber (1 percent), and easily digestable foods.  I have dealt with prolapsed
rectum with success, if you would like the formulas, recipes, foods, I used,
email me privately, I will also be happy to answer all the questions I can.

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: NutroMax Kitten
>I feed my two critters NutroMax Natural Choice Kitten food.  >I had read
>that corn glutton meal may be unhealthy for them.  I go to MUCH BOTHER to
>obtain this food, so if it is not the best, I will switch, except that my
>babies do seem to prefer this brand.

Large amounts of corn (in any form) or other plant matter in food may add to
the overall protein percentages touted on food labels, but for ferrets it is
undigestible material and basically useless.  Foods should be primarily made
up of animal proteins from poultry and animal fat.  Small amounts of corn
(way down on the ingredient list) is necessary as a binder for the food.  I
prefer Totally Ferret far and above all the other foods, if you would like
more information on proper diet for ferrets and what to look for in foods,
email me privately, I can arrange to send you a report on the subject
written by a veterinarian who specializes in ferret nutrition.  The makers
of TF can send it in plain brown packaging to FFZ's.

Here is more that Nancy wrote in issue number 1754....
>From:    Nancy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Pro Totally Ferret
>... must tell you of the wonderful results I have had with Totally
>Ferret.... Sam has become a brand-new ferret.  He is bright, with a
>beautiful coat, his eyes sparkle, and he loves to play.  He has gained
>about a pound.  We can barely recognize him....

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:  Food debate
>In all of the food debates I have never heard anyone mention "KAYTEE
>Forti-diet".  This is by far the most popular ferret food sold in this area.
>How is it compared to other ferret foods?

<cough> I will try to be nice here....I operate the Ferrets First Rescue &
Shelter.  Nutrition has been of great interest to me since I began loving
ferrets.  I have studied this in detail and found that most so-called ferret
foods are not appropriate for the needs of our babies.  Corn and other
vegetable/plant matter is far too high in these, they often contain other
ingredients that are useless to ferrets.  I insist on giving all the kids
here the very best I can, else how can I call myself a shelter and their
protector.  I feed Totally Ferret and the changes here have been very
dramatic, in some cases I believe it has saved lives.  Let me also say that
I have used Kaytee Forti-diet back before I did my own nutritional research,
after becoming educated on the subject of foods, I have no use for the food,
and if offered a truckload free today, I would turn it down immediately.

The only reason Kaytee is so readily available in your area where other
foods are not, is that Kaytee has a better foothold in the market, and they
are excellent "promoters" of their products, it has nothing to do with the
quality of the food.

I have more info on comparing and choosing the right food for ferrets if you
are interested, you can email me privately.

Kisses to the fuzzies
Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter