From:
Margaret Zick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 16:01:23 +0000
Hi Everyone,

We only have one more day on the flagyl.  I have discovered one thing, that
*absolutely* nothing covers the taste of this.  Maybe two things, it is
amazing how far a ferret can spit out a pill!!!

I have steamed cleaned all my carpets, washed all bedding, litter boxes,
toys and anything else I can think of to cut down on contamination.  I don't
have a clue where this came from, except that the drugs courses we went
through in Houston did not get rid of the giardia that Nicky brought in from
being in a bird pet store.  Since moving to Missouri my ferrets have been in
contact with no other animals.

I have looked up herbal treatments also, looking for something that can be
continued longer than the flagyl.  So all the gang have been started on
grapefruit seed extract, it is non-toxic and can be used for several months
if needed.  It is used in other coutries for the treatment of protozoan
infections.

I stayed home from school the last couple of days, to take care of
everything and because I am having trouble.  Mine may just be stress and old
gut problems but I am taking the herbals also, just in case.

Ollie is still squatting and straining, anyone have any other suggestions?
I think his bowels are still quite irritated and that is causing this urge.
He is looking so tired, and is loosing weight.  He isn't dehydrated (thank
goodness) but I can't keep him from loosing weight.  He is on duck soup in
addition to his dry food, which he is eating.  I would like *any*
suggestions, I feel so sorry for him when he looks at me like "why am I
doing this Mom?"

Mo' Maggie and the Mad Missouri Mob