From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 14:09:56 -0400
>I have a ferret with an unknown vaccine history.  I just had her
>vaccinated for Canine Distemper on Friday.  On Saturday a friend came
>by in the evening and she was playing with my ferret.  This friend just
>told me today that she had been around a dog on Saturday morning that
>went to the vet today and the vet believes it could have distemper
>(showing clinical signs-I think they did some test on it and are waiting
>for confirmation).  She didn't actually touch the dog, but she was in the
>same house.  She was wearing the same clothes.  My question is how long
>can distemper live on someone's clothes like that, and would the distemper
>vaccine my ferret received on Friday have already kicked in 36 hours
>later?

Dear Z:

This is a very difficult question to answer.  In previously vaccinated
dogs, distemper vaccines may show beneficial effects in as little as 72
hours - but that is usually in animals which have had a full series of
boosters and probably a couple of additional yearly shots.

Luckily, the possibility of transmission with this set of circumstances
are highly remote.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM

[Sukie note: except in those individuals who can't have vaccines -- the
ones with who have had dangerous reactions to multiple vaccine options,
the ones on immunosuppressants, the ones who are seriously ill -- DO
remember to keep up your ferrets' vaccinations.  Each year there are
several areas which will have canine distemper or rabies outbreaks and
reading about those preventable deaths when vaccine were not used is
heart-breaking.  Also, never forget that no vaccine is 100%; in a very
few animals a vaccine may not work right so if there is a strong chance
of exposure ask your vet for advise.]