From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 21:41:19 -0500
Dear Michele:

>I know ferrets can get fleas but mites aka scabies?  How would one know
>their ferrets even had them since ferrets are sort of always scratching
>themselves?  I am not talking about ear mites because I do know ferrets
>can get them.  I did have a guines pig years ago that came down with mites
>but he received two injections a few weeks apart and they were gone.  His
>symptoms were intense scratching and hair loss.  He had a skin biopsy to
>diagnose the mites.
>
>I never would have thought you can *catch* mites from a ferret.  I never
>caught them from my guinea pig..

While ferrets can catch sarcoptic mange, or scabies, as it is referred to
in humans, it is exceedingly rare in this country.  It is more common in
Australia, however, and can be a problem down there.

If your ferret is around a dog with sarcoptic mange, there is certainly a
possibility that it will contract it, as you might as well.  Sarcomptic
mange in people is generally mild.

This is one that you don't need to worry about.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM=20