From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 21:35:39 -0500
Dear Carolyn:

>Removing an adrenal tumor does not stop the course of the disease.  Post
>surgical followup is essential.  Aggresive behavior, sometimes accompanied
>by inappropriate mouunting (as if the ferret were not neutered) is caused
>by an abnormally high level of testosterone, a hormone, as a result of
>damaged adrenal function.  The same symptoms are evident in female ferrets,
>caused by increased levels of estrogen and evidenced by an enlarged vulva
>in the spayed female.  These symptoms , exclusive of hair loss, can be
>controlled with a 1 mg (1 drop, essentially) of a drug called Megace
>(megesterone acetate) given no more often than once every 4 days until
>the symptoms subside.  In males this may have to be repeated periodically
>according to symptoms.  In females, one treatment may be all that is
>required.  A reduction in testosterone in males can cause lethargy and
>therefore must be given very carefully and not any more often than
>absolutely needed, and it must be given for the life of the ferret.  If
>hair loss returns, we have a separete and much different protocol.  Megace
>can be obtained through your veterinarian.  Our 1-year shelter adrenal
>treatment study is now being expanded nationwide through other shelters.
>
>I'm afraid I am unfamiliar with this form of treatment or the theory
>behind it.

Currently all evidence points to surgery as being curative.  While some
animals may have post-operative residual elevations of estrogen and
testosterone, usually these return to nil (at least in neutered animals)
over a period of weeks, if the lesion is not bilateral.

I have not heard of using synthetic progesterones as treatment for adrenal
disease - is there any literature available on it?

My recall of megesterol acetate is that it has been used in dogs to prevent
estrus, and in cats to treat certain inappropriate sexual behaviors such as
marking.  It has also been known to cause diabetes in cats, and is rarely
used at this point in small animal medicine.  I think I would have to see
some data on this before recommending it either as a replacement for or as
an adjunct to conventional surgical or medical therapy.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, dVM