From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:18:49 -0400
There is no shame and no blame in being human and fallible.  Everyone is.
When a misunderstanding of a clearly written post occurs then something
happened in the reading by definition.  Can't have such things said to
have been missed and yet have the same poster later say that there was no
mechanism through which they were missed.  No one is perfect, no one can
be perfect and no one is expected to be perfect.  That simply would not
be fair or logical to anyone.  Being seen as having the same range of
fallibility types as everyone else has never been an insult for anyone.
Please, don't take such easy offence at something which would not get
anyone else's hackles up.  There is no shame in simply being as human
as all of the rest of us.  No one here is perfect and no one here is
expected by the rest to be perfect; that is part of communal acceptance.
It's a GOOD, healthy, and tolerant thing to not be expected to be perfect
and to in turn not expect anyone else or oneself to have to be.  That
acceptance is easier, happier, more logical, and more socially the norm
than the upset (accusations or defensiveness) which can arise when
impossible standards can't be met for no other reason than that they
are impossible.  This is a good community with realistic standards and
acceptance of each other as simply human.
----

Learned a bit more in a just our article on acrylamide.  Quite
fascinating.  Keep an eye on http://www.sciserv.org for when it appears
on the site.  For humans it may not pose the risk that it does for other
species; that is an aspect which is under current study to see if it does
and to what degree if it does.  (Which means that the advice at this
point is to reduce -- they did not say "stop" in the article -- the
amounts of junk foods cooked at high temps like fries and donuts.) Of
course, ferrets are not descended from animals which have many tens of
thousands of years of cooked food in their pasts so they would not have
the possible useful adaptations that had been honed during such a time,
actually, they wouldn't have the long adaptations to some possibly nasty
compounds that form in charred meats, either.  Anyway, it's a fine
article, and if you have ever wondered how the rodent studies for
possible carcinogens are done and why many of them turn out to NOT apply
to humans there is a clear explanation in there.  I hope that even if
they do find that humans aren't at major risk that there are studies to
learn if these compounds are a problem for pet species so that any food
manufacturing processes that might (note "might") need changing are
altered.
----

Ferrets do very well with tail amputations and those form the usual
approach for such growths:
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/chordoma.html
----

>Yes mostly, thank you.  That does lead to one other question, though.  If
>Lupron is controlling the symptoms, are those only the external symptoms
>(such as fur loss and swollen vulva), or is it also controlling other
>symptoms that may be happening internally (excluding the possibility of
>slowing the tumor's growth)?

For some nuggets of information we all just have to wait till careful
research is complete.
----

For a few cents you can buy spring clips at a hardware store to stop this
cage opening behavior.  Been there... Tip, get it on film first.  Wish
that we had...