From:
"Caitlyn M. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 21:51:16 -0400
Hi,

I've seen lots of posts the last few days about ferrets from breeder X
being nippy, or ferrets from breeder Y behaving a certain way.  OK, here
is some anecdotal data from the eight weasels in our house.

Keith has three ferrets, all from Marshall Farms

I have five:

2 from Marshall Farms
1 from Animals Exotique (no longer breeding)
1 from Triple H
1 unknown, but considering who the distributor was, probably from Triple H
  or Triple F Farms

Each and every one of them has a unique and different personality.  Some
were nippy as kits but aren't now, some were never nippy, and one, Keith's
Lady Ayeka, is a biter.  She is from MF, and so is my Adric, who never,
ever had a nipping problem at all.  Nyssa had the absolute worst nipping
problem as a kit, and she's the one from Animals Exotique, not MF.

Nothing ever phases Tenchi or Adric, and yet Ayeka is terrible skittish
and scares very easily.  They are all from MF.  Avon and Romana both love
everyone, and have never met a person they didn't like.  Keith gave Avon
the nickname "Mr. Cuddle Weasel" when he was still a kit, since he just
loves to be held by people.  He also loves to play and wrestle, but nothing
beats being held for him.  Romana is about the same way.  They are from
different breeders.

My point?  I really don't think, among the larger breeders, that one or
another's ferrets have an advantage when it comes to temperament.  Ferrets,
like people, have very distinct personalities.  They like and dislike
different things, and it's obvious.  They react differently to the exact
same situations, just as different people do.  They are individuals.

All the best,
Caity