From:
Dan & Terri Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 18:31:15 -0400
Hi everyone,

My name's Terri and I'm new to the list - well, I'm new to posting to the
list.  I've been lurking and reading for a month or so now.  I got my first
ferret about 2 1/2 years ago and currently have three - Buster, Lucy &
Iris.  Also in our household are two older ferrets named Hershey & Twinkle
that are visiting while their mom tries to find a new house to buy.

Suggestions for Mel's allergies ( from a fellow sufferer):

Have you considered an air cleaning machine with a Hepa filter for the
ferret room?  Maybe that would help clear out the dust and dander that's
giving you such a bad reaction.

I notice in your post you said you "keep every thing aired out".  Are
you opening the windows to do this?  My own personal experience has been
that leaving the windows open makes my allergies worse!  Usually it's
recommended to run the airconditioning and keep the windows closed to keep
the air cleaner.

What is in your ferrets cage?  Are there any cedar chips or other type of
litter?  (I really doubt there is, if you are a regular reader of this
list! *G*)  I know more than one person who thought they were allergic to
their little caged pets only to discover it was actually the bedding.
Also, regular clay cat litter and scoopable litter creates a palpable dust
in the air that could be irritating.  Do you spray the ferrets with any
type of deodorizer or coat conditioner?  I've tried several such products
and a few of them made me sneeze.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.  I understand how you feel!

-Terri