From:
Mary McCarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2006 13:06:33 -0700
I have to ask - what is the point in keeping these breeders "anonymous"?
You are only allowing them to continue on with their business while you
clean up after them.

Since the authorities are doing nothing, it's up to the ferret community
to do something.  We need to know who these people are to prevent them
from continuing to have an outlet for sale.  The breeding community
itself can put pressure onto these breeders to shape up or ship out.  As
can the show going community.  If they have ferrets belonging to other
breeders, those breeders will certainly want to get their ferrets back
from them.

I can't tell you the amount of people I told about the original Diana
Bachman rescue back in 1998 (I was one of the rescues that helped take in
her ferrets) and because not that many people wanted the bad press to get
out and "geez, we should give her a second chance" - they still allowed
her to participate at the Warmfuzzy & BFC shows, so she was still able
to sell kits to the unsuspecting public who weren't "in the know".  Not
a year after she had dumped 50+ ferrets on the shelter community - how
is that right?

I hoped that we had learned our lesson after her second (even more
horrendous) breeder dump years later as we then publicly announced the
details on the web, in the FML, the AFA's American Ferret Report, many
other ferret boards and lists, etc.  AND got her convicted for animal
cruelty.

These people you are describing are no different than Diana Bachman.

>when she is done with them.  I am at a loss as to how to put an end to
>these "out of control" breeding practices.  While we are helping the

We have to work together and let this breeder know that they need to stop
breeding and you (all shelters/breeders, really) can't help them anymore
until they get all their ferrets altered.  You need to stop enabling
them, because that is what you are doing.  Part of being a responsible
breeder means never burdening the shelter community.

Let's all work together, shall we?

Mary

Novel Beginnings Ferretry
http://www.geocities.com/novelbeginnings/