From:
Shawn Small <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 1996 16:41:25 -0400
I posted a message with a few questions about a week ago and would first of
all like to thank the many responses that I have gotten.

I would now like to ask what people's axperiences are with introducing a new
ferret to one that I have already.

When picking up some supplies in the pet store yesterday, I was play (or
should I say getting attacked) by the dozen or so ferrets in a cage ranging
in age from 6 to 12 weeks.  I have been contemplating getting a second fuzzy
for a few weeks now.  The sales girl mentioned that she had a ferret that
was brought in by someone who was no longer able to take care of her.  She
was selling her for 100.00 (half the regular price) complete with cage and
all the extras.

Though I had my reservatonis, I picked her up and she fell asleep in my
arms.  Who can resist that?  I opted not to take the cage, I have three, but
talked her into throwing in a free hammock.  (I'm a sucker for a bargain.) I
also picked up Deborah Jeans' book, "A Practical Guide to Ferret Care".
Great book by the way.

Anyway, to get back to my dilema, I brought Madison home and introduced her
to Jay-Jay.  Madison is actually 1.5 years old and Jay-Jay about 3 months.
She was a little scared and timid, and Jay-Jay, being himself, was all over
her.  That lasted for about 3 minutes until she had enough and threw him to
the bottom of the cage.  After Jay-Jay, who thought this was the greatest
game in the world wouldn't quit, she pinned him to the bottom of the cage
and low-and-behold, Jay-Jay DOES know how to scream.  I think she scared him
more that anything but perhaps I was the most scared of all.  I took her out
of the cage and plpaced he in a second cage that I had.  After a while I
picked her up again and was holding her when she jumped up and bit my cheek.
Not a nip, an I'VE-GOTCHA-AND-I-WON'T-LET-YOU-GO type of bite.  I had to
actually tickle her belly to get her to open her mouth.  Though it sound's
painful, the pain was minimal.  She did break teh skin and there was a
little blood, I cleaned myself with some anticeptic and that was that.

My question, after this incessant rambling, is this.  What is the best way
to indroduce my two fuzzies so that they don't kill each other.  Is this
normal?  Will they ever get along?  I let them both out of the cage and they
are pretty much fine for about an hour or so before Jay-Jay gets on her
nerves and she pins him and make him scream.

God, I never thought I could move so fast.  Is there a chance that they will
never get along?  Perhaps I am being paranoid.  It has only been a couple of
days.

Shawn