From:
David Minette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 1996 01:02:09 -0700
I notice that mnay of us have problems with ferrets and drawers.  I have a
suggestion that works for me and mine: total submission.  Let's face it, no
matter how hard we try, the beasties are gonna get into the drawers.  Don't
bother with the child proofing, forget sealing all holes, the ferrets are
more imaginative and more patient than we ever will be, and they know it.
Give in.  They want a drawer or two of their own, and you might as well just
give it to them.

We've designated the bathroom as the official ferret den.  They get the two
lowest drawers (complete with ferret snug sacks), with the lowest one left
open so they can get in and out as they please.  They store their toys
beneath the lower drawer, which of course comes out for easy cleaning.  At
night, when we want to sleep in peace without 3am toe nibblings, we toss the
children into the bathroom and shut the door.  We know when the little ones
are about by the 'Ka-THUNK of the drawer as they leave their humble abode.

They seem to respect the arrangement, not raiding the upper two drawers,
though we DO have to keep the rubber handled brush up on the counter top.
It's nice and dark, is the nearest you can get to a ferret hole in a modern
home, and provides them with their own space where they can retreat to
whenever the mood strikes (which leads to the disturbing situation of one
minute they are fighting for all they are worth the next they are GONE!!!
Ferts is the only critter I ever saw run to bed...)

It requires some reasonably well potty trained beasties, however...

David Minette