From:
James Hensley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 13:33:06 -0400
Bido wrote:
>My 7mth old female varmit has an odd looking "pus pocket" in the back of
>her mouth, almost in her throat. ...

Whoa, deja vu!

My fuzzbutt had exactly the same thing around 6 months ago.  It looked like
a white blister on the roof of her mouth, close to her throat.  When my vet
poked it, it felt hard, like it was a tumour.  At that time, he said it
looked like lymphosarcoma (ie.  deadly cancer) and I spent the next couple
of days in serious depression.

He removed the lump, and I guess it was pretty close to a vein in her mouth,
so he had to be really careful.  But everything went fine, and she was
completely healed in a couple of weeks.

The lab tests said it was a "keratinizing epithezial cyst" which is strange
for ferrets, since the skin in their mouths doesn't have keratin in it.
This is what my vet said, but I couldn't get anyone on the FML to answer any
questions about these things.

Anyways, it wasn't cancer, and she hasn't had any other problems with cysts
since, so I'm a happy camper.  I'm a bit ticked about the snap diagnosis my
vet made about the lymphosarcoma, since I'm not even sure that a white
growth in a ferret's mouth is related to lymph node cancer at all.  But
that's another story...