From:
Lisette Lumsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2006 14:21:29 EDT
animal has its own individual personality.  There are no gaurentees.

But when I brought home my new cat, I made sure it knew that the other
cat and the ferrets were here first.  I made a point of showing affection
first and foremost to the other cat and the ferts before paying attention
to the baby...who is now a huge sweet lug of a fellow.  It was hard to
do, believe me.  But the overall peace and happiness of all was the key
issue.

My female cat had lost her male companion, and had over groomed all the
fur off her butt.  She needed a friend, and one she could dominate.  I
was told to get the opposite sex, a smaller cat, and a young one that
could adapt.  I chose one about 8 or 9 months old.

I made sure the cats had places to escape to from the ferrets.  And the
young cat stayed in a room with the other cat for the first 3 months
while I was at work so no one would be hurt.

I play together with them with peacock feathers, large plastic bags (all
get dumped in and gently thrown out) and separate cat from ferret when
the playing is looking a little too rough.  Usually the ferret is
stalking, grabbing an ear, going under the belly and biting, and chasing
the huge kitten up, down and around.  But every room has a special high
zone to get away from the ferret.  *I think this is really important.*

I think the kitten feels it is the low man on the totem pole as he is
last one here and he is last to receive a hug and kiss and mushy words
when I walk in, and last to be fed.  I did this because I thought it
would keep the others from feeling jealous.  And it has worked.

Now he is just part of the group, and a play mate to all.  There are
times now I hug him first or feed him first...I have had him about 7
months now.  No one seems to mind at this juncture.

Hope that helps your situation.
Lisette