From:
Lauren Sautner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 22:48:06 -0500
RE:  Rolling over and other tricks

We taught Trillian and Zaphod how to roll over in about a week.  It was
actually a lot easier than I expected it to be.  Start by showing them the
treat.  Then we move the treat in a circular motion and say "roll over" Give
them a little nudge on their side until they are lying down and bring the
treat sort of around them and make them follow it.  Occasionally we had to
push them the full way around but usually they would just follow the treat.
If you keep this up often enough they should start recognizing the circular
motion (at least our did, but of course they are the smartest ferrets in the
world ;) ).  Good luck!

RE:  Switching to catfood

Our vet told us that after the age of about 4 months they should be switched
to catfood.  We had Trillian on catfood until she was about a year and
Zaphod until he was about 6 months.  I think a lot of people are probably
going to have a bunch of different opinions on this one--I'd be interested
to hear them since I'm just doing what my vet said was right.

RE:  Scratching

OUCH!!!!  Tell me about it!!  If anyone ever saw my belly and lower back
they would think I had been attacked by a vicious cat ;) For some reason
Trillian thinks there is something really special in there that she just has
to get to :)

RE:  Tricks

I forgot to mention this one in the rolling over section...  We taught
Zaphod to climb up our back when we are sitting on the floor doing school
work.  We did this by just holding the treat up by our shoulder and putting
him behind us.  He was pretty quick to pick it up.  But those with bigger
butts (like Trilly) have a little bit of trouble with this one ;)

Lauren, Trillian and Zaphod

         Yumm... Linatone!            Yumm... Raisins!
  "---"  /                     "---"  /

      Trillian                       Zaphod

[Moderator's note: Looks like your vet thinks ferrets are just like cats.
The general wisdom of ferret people seems to say that ferrets should be fed
high quality kitten food or ferret food until they are roughly 3 years old.
(I don't jump in and answer stuff seriously *too* often, but I'm expecting a
really busy FML tomorrow!) BIG]