From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:15:40 -0400
Support Our Shelters has (at last) sent the final version of the FML
Shelter List to BIG, who will send it on to all of you when he is able to
do whatever formatting is necessary to make it fit to send.  (Bill and I
have never quite figured out what makes the difference in whether he gets
a clean or a messy list from me.)  The list was delayed by my recovery
from surgery (I'm fine).

Please use the FML Shelter List to find a shelter where you can ADOPT one
of the THOUSANDS of loving, healthy ferrets who need a home.  You can also
become involved in helping a shelter in many ways.  Just contact them...
they'd love to hear from you.

The FML Shelter List is compiled twice a year and contains the most current
information which the shelters of the FML have sent me.  Every shelter
which requests to be included is put on my distribution list and sent at
least two requests for their current statistics, etc.  Of course I make
mistakes (there are so many shelters on the list now), but any shelter that
is not represented has probably never asked to join.  If their information
is not current, it is probably because they did not receive or respond to
my requests.  If you perceive a problem with my listings, please check to
see that I have been given the correct, current email address for the
shelter.  People often forget to notify me of changes.

Support Our Shelters is a non-profit tax-deductible charity.  In addition
to compiling the FML Shelter List, we sell ferret coloring books by Linda
Gaylord and FERRET WARRIOR bumper stickers at
http://www.theferretstore.com.

Georgia's ferret Kouri raises money for shelter ferrets who need surgery
through his fan club at http://www.geocities.com/kourifanclub/.

Ela (who ran the recent raffle for a shelter) makes and sells wonderful
ferret soaps.  Last winter we raised all the money needed to provide
neutering and vet care for the 103 breeder ferrets of the NJ Xmas Rescue.
Every holiday season we select 10 or more of the most needy shelters to
receive donations toward their vet bills.

We receive no compensation; we donate all our time (and often our own money
for postage and other expenses); we believe in what we do.  The operators
of ferret shelters give their time and money every day, often sacrificing
their own needs, to provide food, shelter, vet care and love to thousands
(really ... thousands) of ferrets who have been lost, abused, or often
simply dumped by people who can't be bothered to follow through on their
commitment to their ferrets.  Shelters up and down the east coast and
around the country are overcrowded and straining at the seams.  It's bad
and getting worse.

We don't have what it takes to be shelter operators, but we have found a
way to help them and the ferrets.  We hope you will join us by becoming
involved with a shelter near you.  Take a look at the list when it
arrives in your in box.

Judith White, Georgia Wood, and Ela Heyn
Support Our Shelters
--

[Moderator's note:  I expect to send the S.O.S. list no later than the
upcoming Monday.   BIG]