From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:09:49 -0400
The gifts to the rescuers of the Utah ferrets are coming in!

In addition to the large donation earmarked for ADV testing of the ferrets
Julie took, we have now received five checks totaling $140.  We have also
received eight donations through PayPal totalling $240, or $230.63 after
PayPal's fees.  (The first time an account receives over $100 in credit
card payments in a month, PayPal requires it to become the type of account
that is charged 2.9% plus $.30 per transaction.)

$370.63 is a good start, considering the number of people who prefer to
write checks, and assuming there are several out there in the mail at
this moment.  Hopefully, the shelters will receive the several thousand
they need within the next month.

Keep checking the FML for updates and information on the needs of the
shelters which took the ferrets.  In addition to reimbursement for the
huge transportation costs, supplies and vet care are badly needed.  The
individual shelters will post what they need and where you can send
supplies or cash, and I will summarize and post a combined list of their
needs as the situation changes because of donations received or new vet
bills incurred.

We can't send thanks enough for the words of support, encouragement and
gratitude that people have posted here about our work for the ferret
shelters.  Getting a thank you email behind the scenes from the shelters
we have been able to pay a vet bill for (which is our usual gift to any
shelter) has been more than enough in the past.

What Patty posted last night is true: we don't say as much as we might
about giving money away because we don't want to hurt the feelings of
the rest of the shelters ... though I have not heard that any of them
hold a grudge against us.  In general, they are the most generous and
understanding people we know.  Someone with 75 ferrets and a $900 vet bill
is very likely to say, "Don't send money to me.  I know there are others
who need it more." Unfortunately, they are usually right :( In spite of
the joy of sending a check to someone who needs it, we always live with
the regret that we could not send more to that shelter and not send a
check to more shelters.

Thank you to the generous givers of words and donations.

Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Ela Heyn <[log in to unmask]>