From:
Jerry King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 09:28:47 -0800
>... I want to try to keep my fert on a "natural" light schedule for winter.
>I feel that if there is any chance of preventing adrenal problems, it won'
>hurt me to try.  My problem is that I have 3 human kids and finding a truly
>dark area in this house is tough.  The only place I can think of is our
>garage.  So if I keep Trouble in the house in natural light during the day,
>and put him the garage at night, can I keep him warm in his cage?  I live
>in the Phoenix area, so cold isn't really even all that cold, but I want
>to be careful....

Neil,

I think that this may be a quality of life issue.  First and foremost, I
am NOT an expert, but I do have five ferrets myself.  These are just my
thoughts.

Now, keeping him in a cage in garage should be fine if you give him enough
blankets.  But think about the trade offs.  I take it you only have one
ferret?  He is going to spend a lot of time alone in a cold and stinky
garage.  Smells from the car, gas, oil, lawnmower etc.  might not be
pleasant to a ferret.  Gas fumes may even be irritating.

You are worried about this darkness thing, but there is no proof to it
at all.  No real scientific studies have been done yet that I know of.
I think that he would enjoy life a lot more by spending it in a healthy,
warm, fun environment.

If you are worried about darkness, then find a closet in the house.  But,
for me I don't think that the darkness hypothesis has been proven, although
it could have some merrit.

However, think about the darkness issue and see if it makes sense.  The
implication is that artificial lighting times and conditions interupt their
natual cycle.  But what is their natural cycle based on?  Heridity?  They
have been a breed of domesticated animals for thousand of years.  Even if
you could trace their roots back to when their relatives lived in the wild
you would find that their relatives probably lived in all sorts of
different conditions in different parts of the world.  Animals adapt to
conditions, just like people.  Looks at cats and dogs that live indoors.
Hampsters, rabbits, snakes, etc.  are all pets that do not share the
problems that ferrets have but yet they are subjected to the same lighting
conditions.

I could be wrong on all this, but I don't worry about it for my little
guys.  They have their own room during the day, but at night they have the
run of the house.  It's their playtime, and I would'nt want to take away
the best part of their day!

Just some thoughts.
Humbly submitted.

Jerry K.