From:
Adam Moschette - SSG <[log in to unmask]
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 12:41:56 -0500
Hello all,

I have been reading a lot about the amount of darkness your fert should
receive.  I was wondering if one has to just provide a totally dark place
for them to sleep if they like or is it necessary to force them into a dark
area ?

My reason for this question is that making a place for them to sleep that
is totally dark is really not that hard.  Getting them to sleep in it may
be another issue.  I have just heard of this lighting issue and may be
making a place for them to sleep this weekend.  We'll see if they trade
under the couch for this new box.

So here we go, depending on the size of your cage this could be harder for
some but the Idea is the same.  All you need is an entrance to the box to
be correct.  My simplest idea is the have a 90 degree bend in the entrance.
Thus the fert will have to walk down a hall and then turn 90 to the right.
At least the main entrance should have a sort of cover.  It would help even
more at the 90 degree bend as well.  The idea being that the light would
have to shine directly down the hall and then reflect in which is unlikely
with two doorway covers.  Of course you would have to make a solid box as
well.

If anyone can come up with an easier Idea let me know and we'll try it this
weekend if I can find the time =)

Adam , Romeo, Juliet