From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 10:03:12 EST
I've noticed a couple posts recently about fleas.  I'll pass along what
I've found about treatment.

1. Don't use a dog or cat flea shampoo; too strong for the ferrets.  If
the shampoo says kitten safe, it's probably OK for ferrets.  Follow the
directions on the label.  You'll have to repeat in about 10 days to get
any of the eggs that might hatch (they stick to the fur quite well.)

2. Don't use a flea dip or a flea collar.  Most are too strong for a
ferret.

3. If you use a kitten safe flea shampoo, wash all of the bedding in hot
water and bleach.

4. Fleas spend most of their lives off of the animal; on rugs carpets,
furniture.  To rid the house of a flea infestation you have to treat just
about all areas where the ferret has been.  Careful of what you use.  We've
used bug "bombs" but have to clean all surfaces before we let the ferrets
back on them.  Our vet sells a flea spay called Vet Kem area spray.  It not
only kills the fleas, but prevents the eggs from hatching.  It is ferret
safe.

5. During the cold weather, you may find the flea population has decreased
or is gone.  I understand that the eggs won't hatch if it is too cool.
Come next spring/summer, when the temperature gets near 80, they'll be
hatching in force if you haven't killed the eggs.

6. Frontline spray works well on ferrets.  We spray one pump down the back
and one down the front and rub it in well.  It takes about a day for it to
get into the skin.  It lasts for about a month.  It doesn't shampoo off.
It'll kill the fleas that get on the ferret, but won't do a thing for the
ones in the carpets and furniture.

7. If you have dogs and cats too, you have to treat all of them at the
same time or you'll never get rid of the fleas.

8. One final warning, fleas can do a number on ferrets.  It doesn't take
too many to cause anemia.  Treat them ASAP.

Dick B.