Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 14:53:59 -0400
I have to disagree with the statement that it is not feasible to test for
ADV before it shows in ferrets which will be attending shows.  Yes, there
certainly are considerations and the situation is not at all ideal, but
Steve and I have been in the ferret community for a long while (around 18
years).  We well recall how shows were THE primary route for the spread of
ECE for some time.  Given the possibility of reducing the risk of spread
we do think that it feasible that ALL ferrets which will be present at
any show are first tested.  How many homes are out there with hidden
infections.  Hey, I grew up on Long Island, so Typhoid Mary was part of
my studies... If it means that some categories (such as kits) have to be
eliminated from competition till the threat has had a chance to be better
enumerated and evaluated, well, what is the value of one or two short
years' glory compared to that of reducing the risk that so very many
ferrets are not exposed to a terrible disease?  Think of all of those who
have lost ferrets or had ferrets forever damaged by ECE (a much less risky
illness than ADV) whose ferrets perhaps would still be cuddling them each
day if ECE had not had such an easy route for spread.  Remember, a deadly
and horrible variant of coccidea was stopped before it could be spread any
further -- and since appears to have died out with the threat eliminated
only a few years ago.  Control often is possible; in that case it was
through people being kept informed, and those with affected businesses
keeping their animals isolated by their own responsible choice.  The AFA
has an opportunity for constructive disease control here and should utilize
it constructively and fairly, with it's policy on such a serious issue
decided by consulting VETS and vet pathologists rather than lay-people,
and with the board agreeing to follow the vets to a "t" and citing those
same professionals for these choices -- pretty well the same way that
definitions of abuse could be most constructively, logically, and fairly
tackled.  I have a decent amount of Bio (having a number of undergrad and
some grad courses in aspects) -- perhaps enough to know what I do NOT
understand -- and my gut feeling is that ADV businesses should not be
represented at shows, but that combined with believing that ALL ferrets
should be tested in case there is quiet infection of business.  That would
be affected by the opinions of knowledgeable vets, but NOT by the opinions
of people with almost no relevant educational background.  Some times it is
just as important to know what you DON'T know as it is to know what you do,
and sometimes it is even more important to know what you don't know.