Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 1995 18:21:29 -0400
Hello all,
Well Weehawk and Silk both had bad reactions to their fervac-d vaccinations
last week...both were vomiting and had blood for diarhea for about 1 hr.
after the injection, even with the epinephrine (sp).  and then I had to feed
weehawk the gruel/ensure mush for two days before he really started to eat
solid food again.  I am confused/curious as to what caused the reaction and
was wondering if any of the doctors have any idea?  Weehawk is a 1yr and a
little, this was his first annual shot (since his kit series) and Silk
received a distemper shot in Nov.  when she was given to the Bossarts
shelter, neither of them had reacted adversly before.  The vet had not used
any fervac-d from the package, I have the series number at home, will post
it to the list tomorrow, so she was worried that that batch was mixed up
wrong or something, is this possible?  Or is it just that my ferrets hadn't
had a chance to develop a reaction yet?  Joan Bossart from the shelter said
there was a good chance that they could react even worse if they are
vaccinated again in the future, possibly even die, so I would really like to
know what other people have done with ferrets who reacted.  Are they
guarenteed to always react now?
    They both were fine for about 20 min. and then Silk started pucking all
over and her feet got cold and she then started having diarhea which quickly
turned to liquid, mostly bloody.  Weehawk followed suit about 10 min.
later.  The really sad/sweet thing is that both of them refused to throw up
or go in the towel I was holding them in, but would struggle until I let
them go to a corner, where they would do their stuff, so we put paper down
there, and kept changing it every minute, but they were so neat even at a
time like that!  They could have done it all over me, I didn't care, I just
wanted them to stop, but no!  They wanted that corner.  It was really scary,
and the ramifications from it are still hitting me, without the Bossarts I
could still have lost weehawk, cause the vet just said keep them warm and
give them lots of water, so it was only the shelters recipe of warm gruel
that got him through the shock and stress.  Any advice, similar stories,
guesses to what might happen in the future would be much appreciated.  I am
starting to feel as if poor Weehawk is one of the worlds most unlucky
ferrets, he is the one who is also partially whole, and a ferret familiar
surgeon tried for an hour to find the offending testical and couldn't so if
he hadn't had the reaction we would be on ovaban as we speak....The poor guy
has had a rough first year.  Also please please stay at your vets after any
vaccination, I had no clue anything bad was going to happen but stayed
solely because of warnings I had read in here, and it probably saved both of
my ferrets lives!!!!!!!!!
ThanksFML!!!!!!!!!!
private email on other reaction ferrets more than welcome!
krystal in vermont with a very quiet silk and weehawk