From:
Darel Benysh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1993 13:30:49 -0500
> From:  Bill Gruber <BIGCU@CUNYVM>
>
> Anyhow, I let the critters run free.  They've already gotten into everything
> they're gonna get into and I think they really, REALLY appreciate having the
> run of the house.  Of course, I always have to be alert for new things that
> might hurt them, but it's all second-nature by now.  And it's fun to have
> them run to the door and greet me when I come home. (Actually, they aren't
> *really* greeting me, they are trying to get out the door and into the foyer
> because they think doing so is a great game and ticks me off.  They're right,
> of course).

I agree completely! (Except that ours end up running outside.)  It took
over a year to completely ferret proof my apartment, so I figgure
someone may as well reap the benefits and it might as well be them.
Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid, but I think they look at me differently
when they are in a cage.  Like they are plotting a breakout attempt.
I do put them in the cage on certain occasions though.  Like when the
landlord wants to show the apartment, or when people come over, or
when I *really* need uninterupted sleep.  (they like climbing into bed
with me and perform various acts of ferret-torture on my sleeping form)

> BB is fine, though I get the impression he is losing his hearing.  Someone
> once mentioned that silver ferrets with mitts and white coloration on the
> top of the head were prone to hearing loss - that describes BB exactly, so
> perhaps there is some truth to this.  He never really listened to me unless
> he wanted to anyhow :-)

I would be very interested if anyone has any information to back this
up.  Our newest little carnivore appears to be deaf.  I don't know
what color classification he fits under, but he does have white toes,
knees, bib, face and a white stripe running down from his forehead to
shoulders.  We have only begun to suspect his hearing problem in the
past month.  Previously, we just thought he was too young to understand
and respond in a meaningful way.  This amounts to him being very difficult
to train.  Since he can't hear "No!" (the 'bad' signal)  and he can't
hear the raisin box being shaken (the 'good' signal indicating a treat
or "where are you guys hiding?") the only way to communicate with him
is physically.  That requires that he either watch you make visual
signals or you physically touch him.

Well the hand signals haven't been much of a success.  I have had
moderate success with touch.  If I can keep him from misunderstanding
them as play (he is a rowdy little boy), the following signals have worked:
* a spank works for "No!"
* petting, holding him against my throat while I hum -> "good ferret"
* stomping around the apt -> "come out come out whereever you are"

Any other suggestions on how to live with and train a young deaf ferret?

Oh yeah!  I just remembered that someone else recently mentioned
having a ferret named Sparky.  That is this little guy;s name too.
He got it because he is always hopping, jumping, and bouncing around
like a little spark.  We chose that name to get away Moe because it
sounded too much like "No!" and we didn't want to confuse him.  Ironic
huh?  (btw, Moe comes from the white stripe on his head i.e. Mohawk or
from the fact that he acts like Mo from the 3 stooges)

Oops! one more thing.  Someone else just mentioned Linda Harrah as
the breeder of Singing ferrets.  I must agree with this too.  Our
first baby came from her and earned the name Beepers because of
constant beeping-chatter when playing.  She was by far the loudest
and most vocal ferret I have ever seen.  Since we lost Beepers, it's
been real quiet around the apt with only quiet 'stealth' ferrets
around.  (and one of those doesn't even know he can make noise, so
he's absolutely silent)

Thanks in advance for any deafness info,
Darel, Susan,  Roo & Sparky
(me) (fiancee)  (ferrets)