From:
Debbie Hunton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 08:34:30 -0700
I would like to chime in with my two cents worth on this debate about
debates.  :)

I think there have been times lately when the tone in the posts has been
slightly less civil than I would like to see.  But, I think, overall, the
arguments have been mostly intellectual and not defamatory.

And I agree with the founding fathers.  To explain that statement, I have
to use the summary I was taught in college: "Those who wrote the first
ammendment (Freedom of Speach) believed that the truth was strong.  If
you debate with an open mind, and listen to the other person's point of
view, the truth will win out.  If you do not allow what you believe to
be truth to be tested, how will you know it is the truth?"

I think that open mind is the most important part of that summary - if
you are so sure you are right that you resort to insulting your opponent
instead of debating his points, you no longer have an open mind.

BIG, keep up the good work helping to keep the FML mostly on target, and
as civil as any heated debate can be.  :)

Debbie