From:
anneinchicago <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2006 02:54:07 -0600
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061215/NEWS01/312150012

Even though the kit, as reported, was in a cage, it is still under
suspicion.

excerpt:
Which animal did it -- the puppy or the ferret?

That's the question puzzling residents of a Bossier City neighborhood.

"I just don't believe a 3-pound, 6-week-old puppy bit the toes off of
that precious baby. I think that ferret did it," neighbor Linda
Edwards said.

Nearly a week after reports that the puppy gnawed off four of the the
month-old girl's toes while her parents slept, some neighbors and
animal control officials now think the family's pet ferret may be
the more likely suspect.

And:
Annette Lewis, kennel manager for Caddo Animal Control, knows from
experience the danger a ferret can pose. A co-worker had part of an
earlobe bitten off by a kit.

"They have teeth and bite just like a rat or cat would," Lewis said.
"They can chew wood in half, and they can chew toys up. But it could
have been some curiosity thing; the baby could have had milk on her.

anne