From:
anneinchicago <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 22:38:54 -0500
First. I have no idea of whether or not I bought the same one
recommended here. The one I found was about 18.00 at Walmart.

There is a problem with it, however, that people should be aware of.

The one I bought has a frame with two hammocky things in front and a
tall nylon tower in back, divided into a top and a bottom.

It's not that hard to put together.

HOWEVER, the two hammocky things are mesh. Which, as we all know,
ferrets will, at the most inconvenient time- say dead of night- get a
toenail caught in and then rip in out, accompanied by copious amounts
of blood and loud, ear-splitting shrieks.

The good news is it is an easy fix. I simply safety pinned one section
of a soft flannel sheet to the top hammocky thing (that way they
couldn't slip *under* it) and let in drape all around to the floor.
Voila, another cave thing for the ferrets. I did the same to the
second, lower hammocky and voila- Well, yes. Another light, airy cavey
thing. If you keep it shorter at the ends where the hammocks meet the
tower, they can still get in the tower holes.

As an added bonus, I discovered one can take a dryer tube and fit it
through the frame, winding it as a spiral from the very top to the
bottom, making a kind of helter-skelter. If you are worried about it
shifting, you can always cut little holes in the tube and cable tie it
to the frame. However, I only had to do that at the very bottom in mine
as the tube is supported quite nicely by the frame- just make sure it
is inside the frame, next to the nylon tower.

All in all, mine seem to like it. of course, they like the box it came
in even better.

So do the dogs because, as I was putting this all together, they broke
into the cat's litter pan.

anne