From:
twkemper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:30:53 -0600
Hello from East Texas.  On Monday past I awoke to Major Burns being ataxic
with stupor and drooling.  I had noticed him once before drooling, but he
had just had a car ride, and I thought maybe he had a little of a tummy
upset.  However, on Monday, it all became clear, his laziness lately and
sleeping a lot.

I rushed him to the vet along with the FAQ on Insulinoma, and had to
immediately get on a plane for a week's trip.  I called Monday PM to check
on him and the vet told me that he, in fact, had extremely low blood sugar
(48 when they tested him!).

I'm confident we'll have to do surgery to find a tumor on his pancreas.  My
question is this.  Is there anything special I need to tell my vet to look
for?  He's very competent, and I trust him, but he'll be the first to admit
he doesn't have a lot of experience with ferrets.  Is there anything
technically difficult about the pancreatectomy?  Should I be worried to
the point of traveling to find a more experienced vet?  Any knowledgeable
advice will be appreciated.

Thanks for  your input in advance.  Keep the Major in your thoughts.

Tuck Kemper

(Proudly owned by Major Burns (ferret face), Scooter (the dook of earl),
and Widget (What's a litter box for?????I keep forgetting!)