From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:40:28 -0700
Thank you Sukie for acknowledging Ferrets Magazine and the improvements
you see!  I am glad that you feel the same way I do...they are trying to
do so much for ferrets and obviously care about them.  Unfortunately,
they cannot have ferrets themselves as they are in CA.

Now, on the ADV euthanization issue.  To those who attack the messenger,
not the message, you win!  What if someone you respect had posted this
information?  I bet the response would not have been a personal attack or
claims that they are trying to "start trouble".  I guess some are never
allowed to question the opinions of others.  What is funny is those that
do question things or state their opinions without naming-names, end up
chastised.  How is that a good way for people to learn about BOTH sides
of an issue?

I help several shelters that test for ADV and fortunately, the one I help
at (physically), has not found any ADV.  However, I recently visited a
shelter that houses both and while I agree that it is a lot of work, this
shelter will NOT euthanize the ADV+ ferrets unless the quality of life is
gone (just as in the case of adrenal, insulinoma or any other terminal
illness that cannot be fixed).  Now, it does require lots of work and lots
of dedication to make sure that there is no cross-contamination, but it
has been successful and CAN be done.  Ferrets can live with ADV and still
have a happy life even if it is for a shorter period than some ferrets.

I had also discovered that some vets speculate that lymphoma could be
viral.  Does this mean that just because there is speculation and no
confirmed study results, that these ferrets should be euthanized?

I also have to question why these same shelters (I have not named) who
have stated on other lists that they are not sure how accurate the ADV
tests are, can now turn around and say they will euthanize ADV+ ferrets.
I just don't get it.  There was plenty of controversy surrounding the
tests at the symposium and that there could be false negatives.  Who
knows, these same shelters who say they would euthanize positives could
actually have positives amongst the negatives.  Should all the ferrets in
the shelter now be euthanized as a precaution?  Sounds to me like that
would be an option for these shelter operators?  Good God, I hope not.
What happens if down the road it is discovered that one that originally
tested negative turns up positive?  I shudder to think what would happen
to all those ferrets.

No, I do not have a shelter in my home, I don't have room and refuse to
house them in sub-standard conditions.  I do spend plenty of time at a
no-kill shelter.  She and I have discussed how she would handle it if
there were ADV+ ferrets coming in.  She would house them seperately and
would not euthanize.  I also don't believe that just because one is not a
shelter themselves, that they are not entitled to an opinion.  Why is it
that some shelter operators think they are elite and that just because
they are housing the shelter, nobody else has knowledge of how hard it is
and what is involved in sheltering?  I spend a great deal of time at the
shelter, I help and have learned a lot, some of which I probably could
say, some wouldn't want to learn (the heartbreak, the financial struggles,
time, emotional toll, etc...).  I understand plenty and just because I
don't live there (it is an hour drive from me), that doesn't mean I know
less about sheltering or what shelters go through.  The shelter operator
I am referring to does not have time to spend on the Internet.  She is
too busy taking care of the ferrets.  I think MOST shelter operators don't
have time to spend on newsgroups.  I don't see how they could knowing how
much time one needs to devote to the shelter.

Also, there ARE foster homes out there that will only take ADV+ ferrets
and there ARE shelters that also take them in and have the facilities to
care for them.  It can and has been done.

With all the controversy and speculation about ADV AND indefinites, I
don't think simply euthanizing ferrets is the answer.  More research
needs to be done.  Yes, I attended the lecture on ADV at the symposium
and it certainly appeared to me that they are not positive how ADV is
even spread yet.

AIDS was this way when it was first discovered in the US - people were
fearful until they were able to study it further and find out EXACTLY how
it was spread.  However, thankfully, nobody suggested euthanizing people
who had it.  Yes, this is about humans and euthanization is not an option,
BUT it stresses the point I am making that not enough is known to simply
go around and destroy those in question.

I am very confused how anyone that can question the validity of the tests
can then turn around and say they will euthanize those who test positive.
It just doesn't make sense to me.

The reason I don't go to the ADV list to post is that I don't have time
and the same people who have attacked the messenger instead of the
message, reside there.

Thank you to those who can think for themselves.  Thank you to those who
can respond civilly and voice your opinion(s) without resorting to
personal attacks or claims that someone is trying to start trouble just
because they have a differing viewpoint.  If a shelter operator is going
to put themselves out there on the Internet and voice their opinions, then
they are subject to the same scrutiny as others who voice their opinions.
If a shelter operator is afraid of differing opinions or those that
conflict with their beliefs, I suggest that they reconsider posting in
public forums.  Anyone who posts on a newsgroup or public forum should
realize that there will be disagreements, however, it is unfortunate that
the messenger gets shot down and not the message itself.