From:
cocoa lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2012 13:18:18 -0400
We recently got some implants from Australia that showed up in bubble
wrap and a cardboard box- no cooler- no ice.

Does anybody have additional/ updated information on how deslorelin
implants should be stored and how they should be shipped to consumers?

36-46 degrees is what the package states implants should be stored-
which is refrigerator temps. Until recently ...when we started ordering
from Australia directly these implants were shipped to us in medication
coolers packed with ice bags from the UK.

Product stability has been the reason we were given for the implants
being shipped/ stored cold; the product is supposedly only stable at
room temps for up to 72 hours and could be damaged during transport
from oversees in aircraft cargo because of heat exposure. The implant
potentially could be damaged by heat exposure and not dispense its
content and you would have no way of knowing. If you have seen the
implant you probably noted its waxy/ chalky like texture.....

Looking for information/ research on how consumers would know if the
implant itself is defective or damaged. I'm wondering if some of my
ferrets were implanted and the reason the implant appeared to not be
working is because it was defective- not the ferrets health condition.

Virbac Australia and USA have not responded to multiple requests for
this information. I spoke with a Suzan Greenhouse at Virbac US -
supposedly she was knowledgeable about the product information but I
got nothing more from her than what sounded like someone reciting the
information posted on their website. And their "Dr" Garza states she
can't share information with consumers because it is against FDA
regulations ??? Both were very evasive/ guarded in their responses.
Ms greenhouse went as far to say that she doesn't speak to frontline
consumers only licensed veterinarians because they are product
knowledgeable.... guess the rest of us are stupid??

Ms. Greenhouse told our vet tech that she confirmed with some doctor
in Australia that it was ok to use the boxed/ bubble wrapped implants-
that Virbac has them sitting on shelves for up to 9 months
unrefrigerated..... (even though label says store at 2-8 degrees
Celsius)

For now we are going back to using Lupron Depot -don't want to waste
money putting an implant in that may not be doing what it was intended
to do.

If anybody has information on the concern please share

thanx