Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 15:20:56 -0000
This is sort of in response to the *cat*-thyroid tumor treatment posted a
couple of days ago...

When my Bailey had odd fat deposits (on all her lymph nodes), we suspected
some sort of metabolic problem, and my first thought was to check her
thyroid levels.  As it turns out, she had what we suspect to be fatty liver
disorder...but anyway, the point of this is that when my vet sent the blood
to New York to Dr. Susan somebody that is apparently the ferret bloodwork
guru and does lots and lots and lots of ferret bloodwork, she said that she
has never seen or heard of documented hyper- or hypo-thyroidism in ferrets.

While I think that ferrets probably are prone to some sort of metabolic
problem, it is apparently not one that there are good tests for as of yet,
because I have never been able to find any info on such disorders, other
than that nobody will absolutely rule out the possibility of their
existance.

I am quite interested in compiling information on such suspected problems
in ferrets, though -- I would like for Bailey's death to somehow help
ferretdom in general - so if you have any personal ferrets that develop
such problems, please let me know!  I hope to compile the info and
eventually my vet and I may be able to put it in some helpful form to
others.

Anyway, thanks to all
Melissa
Mishka, Buttons...and Timmy - with Tasha, Bailey and Nookie waiting for us
in heaven..