From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 18:34:45 -0500
I received this from a friend who apparently had it forwarded to him from
someone on a dog list.  Though not specifically ferret related, I thought
it would be appropriate and perhaps comforting to those who have lost pets
recently (or even not recently).

>---------- Forwarded message ----------  [with permission]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: ...from the mouthes of babes...
>
>I just had to share this with you guys:
>
>Got permission to Fwd this from the Service Dog list...
>>
>>It's about a 10 yr old dog ("Belker") who had cancer.  The vet who wrote
>>this story told of going to the family's home to put the dog to sleep and
>>out of its misery in its own home. The parents thought their 4 yr old son
>>(Shane) should witness the experience to help get closure on the family
>>pet's death.  After the euthanasia procedure, the vet wrote the following
>>
>>"We sat together for a while after Belker's death wondering aloud about
>>the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who
>>had been listening quietly, piped up...'I know why'. Startled, we all
>>turned to him.  What came out of his mouth next stunned me.  I had never
>>heard a more comforting explanation.
>>
>> He said, 'Everybody is born so they can learn how to live a good life,
>>like loving everybody and being nice, right?  Well, animals already know
>>how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

Karen
A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast, but the mercy of
the wicked is cruel."
                                         (Proverbs 12:10 RSV)
If you love ferrets, check out:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html