From:
polecatsister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 20:40:47 -0800
The needs of the ferret community are changing.  While there are several
excellent organizations in the community, none of these organizations have
the singular goal of education.  This is one of the most important aspects
in the ferret community now, as ferrets are gaining in popularity as
companion animals.  As they gain in popularity, the problems associated
with this increase.  The number of abuse cases increase.  The number of
large scale rescue operations increase, and the threat of ADV hangs over
our head.  The need for education is greater now than it has ever been in
the ferret community.

Fortunately, in the ferret community, we have a deep well of information
sources to draw from.  We have some of the best veterinarians in the world
working on ways to protect our ferrets and improve the quality of their
lives.  We have people pushing laws through to get our ferrets the same
protective rights afforded to cats and dogs.  And we have people capable
of executing a large scale rescue operation with the speed and precision
required to remove the animals from harm.

We need to be able to draw upon the knowledge these people possess to not
only educate ourselves, but to aid us in educating the new ferret owner.
It is only through education that we will ever be able to improve the
quality of life for ALL ferrets.

With this is mind, the International Ferret Congress (IFC) has been born.
The primary goal of the IFC will be to provide and promote a series of
educational forums including the 2003 International Ferret Symposium-which
is currently in the early planning stages.  Possible speakers have been
contacted and locations are being researched.

It is our hope, that the IFC will fill a need in the ferret community by
not only offering educational opportunities, but also by promoting unity
among ferret owners.  Myself, Julie Fossa and Linda Iroff want the lines
of communication to remain open in the ferret community.  We will be
available to listen to the needs of the community and we will be guided
in this effort by advisors such as Troy Lynn Eckart and Sukie Crandall.
We will also be drawing on the wisdom of Bill Gruber, Bob Church and a
host of other leaders in the ferret community.

In addition to the International Ferret Symposium, we will be hosting a
series of educational events each geared toward providing ferret owners
with information relevant to issues occurring in the ferret community
today.

The first of such events will be 'The Forum at the Falls' on Sept 21st
2002, in Niagara Falls, NY.  Complete details on this event will be
announced in the following days so mark your calendar and be watching
for the announcement.

Any comments or questions should be directed to either myself at
[log in to unmask], Julie Fossa [log in to unmask], or Linda Iroff
at [log in to unmask]

For Our Ferrets,

Judy Cooke
Co-Director IFC