Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:38:14 -0800
Live science did an interesting study on sweet attractants for
carnivores. They consider a ferret a carnivore that is attracted to
natural sweeteners. However the red panda which is lumped under the
"super family" of Mustelidae, but now classified, scientifically, as
its own Family, is considered an omnivore, with bamboo shoots making
up 2/3 of its diet and is actually attracted to artificial sweeteners!
These sweetener attractions interestingly enough have specific taste
receptors on the tongues. The study findings are here:
http://www.livescience.com/7729-red-pandas-sweet-tooth.html

I though it was interesting that they specifically tested ferrets as
carnivores and discovered their definite attraction to sweets. Well,
not that THEY discovered this attraction - ferret owners know about
this as do the kibble manufacturers - right? But now for those that
need scientific PROOF of this attraction - there it is! And yes, even
with a closing statement that more research is warranted. Could that be
because science never does have all the answers? That maybe when you
answer one question another pops up? Could the scientific world be full
of blank spaces?

This link goes into good detail regarding the eCB and its effects and
offers a ton of more links where the readers can broaden their minds.
I find it interesting that they see a connection regarding adrenalin,
stress, immune systems as well as insulin and the attraction to sweets:
http://www.dmsjournal.com/content/2/1/5

And this spot here talks in depth of how the eCB influences and is
affected by the HPA - Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis Activity -
which is the same circuit affected by ferret Adrenal Disease!

Something to note too, is that the folks writing these abstracts and
doing these studies note how YOUNG this discovery is but just because
they only recently are beginning to figure it out doesn't mean we need
to wait for their final word does it? Didn't mother nature already
indicate what the ferret needs to thrive? This of course is based upon
an intact animal - not one that has been compromised by such early
altering before its genes even had a chance to express themselves.

Puppies and kittens typically are sold between 8 and 12 weeks old, but
they are fully intact - sold with the expectation that the new owner
will be responsible and not allow them to procreate willy nilly..
Socialization takes place from birth through the developing months -
not simply as a result of altering. If the people across the "big
pond"recognize the need to offer chemical restraint injections for the
jills (jill jab) and the benefits of a vasectomized hob; then why do
ferret kits in the U.S. need to be subjected to such life altering
and dangerous invasive surgeries? If it takes a year for the ferret's
genetic potential to be realized then maybe they shouldn't be sold as
pets until after they are a year old? Or with such a negative influence
on their interrupted developing systems from eating indigestible
sweetened kibble - maybe people should stop doing that and feed the
ferret what Mother nature intended?

There are no blanks for me - ferrets are an obligate carnivore that
cannot digest fruits, veggies, plants; their systems are designed to
thrive upon prey animal flesh. So that obligates me as the caretaker
to provide for them what they need not what I want to feed them in a
convenient form to suit me.

None of reading these links has been a waste of time for me - I get
to learn more about what makes my ferrets tick. Inquiring minds like
to know new things. Sometimes we share too!

Cheers,
Kim

please visit :
for ferret help and info: