From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 22:06:20 -0500
Dear Caitie:

>I woke up this morning to find diarrhea all over the cage, splattered
>all over the towel that she sleeps in, and the hammock she occasionally
>frequents.  The coloring went from almost a rusty brown to very light,
>and in all of it there were those small solid chunks.  I m pretty sure
>that some of it was vomit, also containing those chunks.  She seems fine
>though no glassy eyes, very inquisitive and response and playful.  I also
>watched both her and Quincy use the litter-box and both poops seem normal,
>well-formed, etc.  Is this periodic diarrhea normal?  Does it sound like
>anything specific to you?  Please help, if you can.

Periodic diarrhea can be a difficult diagnostic problem.  Although there
is anot a lot of specific information here, perhaps I can make a few
assessments.  The small chunks that you describe - does it look like
birdseed?  Birdseed stools are commonly seen in animals who are for some
reason unable to properly digest their food - it is best called a symptom
of maldigestion.  the act that the diarrhea is voluminous rather than small
piles suggests small intestine origin, rather than colonic origin.

The possibilities for a small bowel diarrhea with malabsorption are many
and varied, and probably will best be identified in a trip to the vet, with
a good physical exam, bloodwork, and a fecal exam.  Possibilities include
ferret coronavirus, foreign body, GI indiscretion, such as eating soap,
etc., and certain parasites like coccidia.

this case is a good illustration of the drawbacks of Internet
consultation - non-specific signs which lend to broad assessment, but
are largely impossible to diagnose definitively without actual interaction
with the patient.

If this diarrha continues, it's off to the vet with her!

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM