From:
SC Ellis-Blackwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 22:17:45 -0600
Hi Folks!  A thread I originally posted on has spun out, and while I do
not like to waste space my name is still being attached along with
misconceptions about what I posted.  I do not advocate pet smuggling (as
was clear in my post), rabid pets, or rabid people :-)!  I frequently read
The London Times among other news media and so come across quite a few
articles and opinions on the quarantine issue.  I think the smuggling
illustrates some folks' desperation, and is an interesting comparison to
the issues in California.  In addition I (as well as many, many Brits)
believe a 6 month quarantine is scientifically unnecessary and could be
reworked into a program that is much more humane and scientifically
justified therefore meeting the needs of pets, their owners (Brits and
foreigners), and concerns specific to Britain.  Six months is too long for
any animal, especially a ferret.

As I stated in my post I imagine the owners must be missing their fuzzballs
greatly (heartwarming that they still care after a great deal of time apart
already), but that I hope they make the best decision for the ferrets
(which is what I believe Ulrike who cares a great deal about the ferrets is
working towards).  I reiterated this in a subsequent private post along
with some ideas on what could be done to help with the separation.  This is
what I hope we can get back to - helpful ideas to maintain contact during
lengthy separations (good in many circumstances, not just moving overseas),
and fuller information on Brazil and issues surrounding moving far and wide
with ferrets.

Happy Turkey Day!
Shelly