From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 05:37:54 -0500
>I am a bit confused.  Lately I have been reading about how marshall farm
>ferrets were not properly neutered and also that the ferrets living
>conditions were very poor.  What I am confused about is that I thought
>that marshall farms is a respectable breeder of ferrets.

I'll try that one.  Actually in my opinion they are.  Also my understanding
is that they are the largest ferret breeder in the country.  They also have
(or used to have) a very large business in breeding dogs (beagles) for
laboratory use.

Hard to get much first hand information about them cause they are not open
to the public, not wanting the hassle of animal rights groups etc.  I do
have some second hand information though (not third) and it tells me that
they are chiefly in the business for the money and have been quite
successful at it while many others have not been, so that tells you
something.

Chief negatives are that they are said to neuter their animals too early
which some think leads to health problems such as early cancers.  I haven't
found this to be true in the ferrets that I have known.

Also that they in breed their ferrets excessively, and that they keep them
in cages with wire floors.  They are required to submit to a health
inspection several times a year by New York state, and I think that the
wire floor issue has been corrected.

Chief positives are that they are big contributors to the California
legalization effort, having filed a suit against fish and wildlife folks
out there.  Also when the other large breeder (Path Valley) suffered a
devastating loss of most of their stock several years ago, they provided
many animals to help them get started again.  Also they seem to stand
behind their ferrets.  They just don't spend much time on any one
individual, because again they are in it to make money.  My opinion only.

        - Bill Williamson