From:
Tom Barney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 16:31:00 EST
Hi all,

1995 was an interesting year for us.

I've only posted a couple of times since being on this mailing list since
around May this year, but I wanted to share a few things with all who care
to read.

We adopted our first ferret, Frasier, in February.  He wasn't too playful or
too affectionate, but we didn't know he was getting used to us.  We got a
brother for him in late may, Gizmo, from a pet shop.  One of the first
things we learned was how ferrets seem to treat each other rough when
meeting for the first time.  And we haven't stopped learning things about
ferrets since.  I bet I learn something new every day.  One day in September
Frasier was laying on the bed.  I petted him and rubbed his head for about
10 minutes.  when I got up to leave he got up, walked up to my face, kissed
my face, and then layed down again.  I learned 2 things that day 1--Frasier
knows what kisses are and 2--he loves me.  Playing with them and caring for
them also has reduced the stress level in my life.  It kind of helped me put
things into perspective.

I know this is not any kind of huge revelation to most of you.  But I am a
big, strong man, stoic just like fuzzies.  I grew up thinking caring about
little animals just had to be a sign of weakness.  Boy was I wrong--no hate
mail please.

These two little ferrets are a part of my family now.  I mean just like
little children.  I don't love them as much as my daughter but close, real
close.

We took the two ferrets to my daughters school this year and showed them
around a few classes.  I think we taught a lot of children that say that
ferrets are great pets and companions.  We showed the kids how smart ferrets
are, we told them how they use a litter box, how soft and cuddley they are,
how sharp their claws and teeth are, and mainly how THEY DO NOT BITE .  Our
two boys were handled by almost 120 kids that day, I think they were having
as mush fun as the kids.  Anyway, that was my part for public ferret
education.  If all of us did that once a year a lot more people would
understand these little guys.

I'm almost through, bear with me.  Thanks to all who have answered questions
on this list.  A special thanks to BIG and DR.  Williams who give a little
extra.  Our thoughts and prayers have also been with those of you who haved
lost a special friend this year.  I hope I do not have to bear that pain for
a long time but when I do I will think what all of you should think and that
is I have made my home the best place on earth for my small friends.

I'm glad I got to know ferrets in 1995.  It changed my life.  To those of
you considering getting a ferret--DO NOT HESITATE !  In fact I think they
should be sold--adopted-- or given in pairs or more.  Two are great
fun....trying to talk Connie into three !

Everyone have a great 1996.

Thank you for letting me ramble.

Tom & Connie
Frasier-- I'm the king here...just ask me.
Gizmo--what kind of trouble can I get into now ?