From:
Alice Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 21:34:54 -0400
When we added a second ferret to our family, our first ferret, who was 2,
had the patience of a saint.

The new 8-week old had different play ideas and, of course, a different
energy level-all magnified in the close quarters of a cage.  For instance,
she wanted to wrestle in the hammock and, worse, she still craved the
wonderful experience of nursing from her mother.  She found the closest
thing to nursing in her new cage-our first ferret's ears.  She would even
try to pump her head for milk.  Our first ferret endured the antics for
weeks and her harshest defense was hissing.  Her discipline was patience.

The patience worked and now, after 9 months, the 2 are great companions.
They share, play, and explore together, and make soft pillows for each other
in the hammock.  Fannie has forgotten about nursing.  I wonder, though, what
our first ferret thought when the kit suddenly appeared in her cage.  "How
did this happen?" "I don't remember being pregnant." "Is she here to stay?"
"I'm not sure I like this intrusion, but it's interesting anyway." I also
wonder what inner direction made her so kind and gentle through that trying
"adoption" period.