From:
Pam VanOverloop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 07:10:40 EDT
I guess I fall into the category of ferret owner that Kat refers to....I
have 22 ferrets, some I bought as kits from the local pet store, the more
recent additions have been "rescues"...the ones people couldn't keep any
more and asked me to take in (there's always room for one more....sigh).
The gang here ranges from 1 year to 8 years old......most of them around
4-5 years old.  Here's my "sickness " survey results:

of the 12  "store bought as kits"
   2 now have adrenal problems
   1 had a mast cell tumor removed
   2 had enlarged spleens removed
   none are Marshall Farms

of the 9  "rescues"
   2 now have adrenal problems (R.B. had surgery just last week)
   1 had a mast cell tumor removed
   1 had enlarged spleen removed
   only 1 of these has Marshall Farms tatoos.

So far none with insulinoma, none with cataracts, 3 of 4 dark-eyed whites
are deaf.

Oh, in case you noticed that didn't add up to 22....Sir Dexter doesn't
fall into either category.  He was purchased as a kit by my husband from a
private breeder as a surprise birthday gift.  He is a big healthy 3 year
old boy....Hi Lori!

PamV in Cincinnati