From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 1996 13:55:07 CST6CDT
O.k. now is our chance to make a difference.  The Kansas Dept of Health &
Environment will hold a public hearing to consider changes to existing
rabies control regulations on May 28, 1996 at 10:00 a.m.  in the basement
conference room of the Mills Bldg, 109 SW 9th, Topeka, KS 66612.  I would
like to see ferrets inserted into the following reg.  -my addition is in
[CAPS].

28-1-13.  Rabies control; isolation of biting animals for observation and
examination; quarantine of bitten animals.  (a) In conjunction with
investigation of the biting of a human or an animal by another animal, the
isolation of the biting animal shall be as follows: (1) An owned domestic
animal [INCLUDING FERRETS] shall be isolated for an appropriate period (10
days for dogs and cats [, XX DAYS FOR FERRETS]) under conditions
satisfactory to the local health officer.

I need those that can, attend this meeting.  If you can't attend or don't
live in Kansas I need you to write to Dr. Calder at the above address
expressing your support of inserting ferrets into this regulation.
Currently in Kansas, ferrets are killed and tested if they bite someone.
Your letters, even from other states, WILL make an impact on KDHE.  Please
send polite informative letters.

Here are a few points you might mention -
- Ferrets are domestic
- Never a rabies transmission from a ferret to a human or other animal
- Less than 20 cases of rabies in ferrets compared to thousands upon
  thousands in dogs, cats, and livestock
- CDC/KSU/UG Shedding study results showed ferrets don't secrete the
  skunk rabies virus in their saliva
- Ferrets are normally inside supervised companion pets
- Ferrets are NOT closely related to skunks, different subfamily and genus.

Please help us get a quarantine for ferrets in Kansas.  Hugs to all.
tle